Our appeal for shoeboxes to send as part of Operation Christmas Child 2019 has begun! A simple shoebox gift packed with love and fuelled by prayer can have a huge impact: watch how Operation Christmas Child brings Good News and great joy to children around the world.
IMPORTANT!!! For those who are regular contributors to Operation Christmas Child’s shoebox appeal PLEASE NOTE there are changes to the list of what can NOT be packed into shoeboxes – in particular they cannot now accept toothpaste or sweets in the boxes.
If you’ve any questions after reading all this information, the church’s coordinator this year is Val Lamb – please speak to her.
If you’ve never been involved before, here’s what to do.
1) Imagine you are packing a small box of treats for a boy or girl aged either 2-4, 5-9 or 10-14. Not sure which age to target? Well the organisers tell us that they don’t normally have enough boxes for the older boys …
2) Find a suitable shoebox or collect one of the preprinted shoebox kits from the church
3) Label your box to show who it is for – there’s preprinted labels in the leaflets you can get from church or download and print below. If you are using your own shoebox, cover it in Christmas wrapping paper as well.
4) Choose one special item that the child who receives the box will treasure – a doll, a toy truck, or something.
5) Then fill the rest of the space with other fun toys, hygiene items and school supplies
6) Please, if you can, add in the top of the box a gift of £5 to cover the cost of transporting and delivering your box, along with the slip you can detach from the leaflet. If you’re happier doing things online, you can do so at https://www.samaritans-purse.org.uk/what-we-do/follow-your-box-donation/ and then print off a barcode to include with your box(es).
7) Don’t seal your box – it has to be able to be opened so that a volunteer can check the contents and remove any donations contained in it.
8) Bring them to the church on a Sunday or to the church office during the week, anytime before Sunday 10th November. Yes – that’s 10th November, which is earlier than the collection week advertised on the Operation Christmas Child website – but we need to move the shoeboxes to the regional collection centre before the Life Exhibition arrives the following day!
Are you struggling to think what gifts you could include in a box? Well, there’s a very helpful leaflet you can download by <CLICKING HERE>.
For more information, read (or download) this Operation Christmas Child leaflet: